Saturday, September 8, 2007

Finger Gymnastics

Ukulele Cosmos have a monthly event called open invitations where a song is picked each month for members of the forum to give their own interpretation of that song. This month's song is Daydream Believer made famous by the Monkees, already there are some excellent versions posted up on the site.

Seeing as I'm already familiar with that song I thought I would give it a try and promptly hit my first stumbling block early on in the form of the chord [Bm] , no matter how I tried to play it, it didn't sound clean. I posted a pic on the Cosmos of my attempt at forming the chords and asked for some advice, I wasn't let down :) I got lots of great detailed tips which I won't go into in full as they can be easily looked up on the forum, however here are a few useful pointers that can be applied to any chord you might have trouble with.

1. There is no right or wrong way to play a chord if it sounds right and works for you then its ok.
2. Try a different fingering, quite often some strings do not need to played or a different fret can be used to represent one of the notes, espicially true of triad chords (3 notes make up the sound of the chord)
3. Keep the wrist below the neck.
4. Don't press down so hard.
5. Try rolling the finger slightly so that the fleshy parts are not as much on the string.
6. And back to number one, there is no right or wrong way to play a chord if it sounds right then its ok :)

No comments: